Monday, September 29, 2008

Where Yields Are Still High

Via
Wall Street Journal

By BLAKE HURST

It has been a difficult year in rural Missouri, with early floods followed by an extended drought. But this is my 31st harvest, and I'm used to the ups and downs of farming, if not entirely resigned to them. One of the first fields we "combined" this fall was on land that my grandfather began to work in 1931. He picked corn with nothing but a mule, a wagon and a corn hook that fitted into the palm of his hand. I'm driving $300,000 of the latest technology, complete with a Global Positioning Unit that maps our yields and a satellite radio that follows the latest news of the financial crisis. Grandpa ended up on the fields we harvest today because he lost his first farm in the Depression. I hope that America's tools for managing financial crises have advanced as much as our ability to harvest grain.

  • Complete Article
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home